Monday, April 16, 2007

Early Registration

Once again we are being visited at DSU by high school students registering for classes. I love meeting these students as they start getting a glimpse at what college life will be like for them when they show up on campus next fall. It must be a little overwhelming, but exciting, as they return home and look at that printed schedule of fall courses they have signed up for. I remember the questions I had for myself way back when it was all new to me. I wonder what is covered in this class? I wonder if the teacher is nice? I wonder if I am as well prepared as the other freshmen when I get there? I wonder if it is easy to make friends? I wonder what it is like to have a roommate? I wonder if I can change classes, or times, or instructors? At DSU all of our incoming freshmen are required to register for GS100. This course will be taught most likely by the student's adviser and be made up of other freshmen in the same major. Once a week over the fall semester, they will meet and discuss many of the topics that give rise to the questions listed above. We will even answer many of the questions they don't even know they have yet. :)

We will have new freshmen coming to campus throughout the summer to register and I know I speak for all the faculty when I say how much we enjoy having them here.

Stephen

No comments: